I started by printing on my fabric using my screen. I printed a mood board I made using photos of my grandad and famous people/events he has lived through and would remember. I chose to use bright pink as I wanted to use bright colours to show the Jamaican side of my project.
Thinking about the research I did on modern fashion I started to create the top. I wrapped the fabric around the mannequin. I put in the darts in the front. I made them quite small but the fabric didn’t go as tight around the mannequin as I wanted so I made the darts bigger so that the fabric was tighter. I left a small gap in the back as I will put a white zip in the back for a fastening. I will choose white as the top is quite bright and a black one wouldn’t look right in the back. I think white would be the best option for it.
After looking back at the research I did on modern fashion, I changed the front to a more popular v neck style. I liked the top I did before but I think a v neck is probably more modern and would be more popular. Now that I changed the neckline, the top doesn’t have darts. The straps now match the rest of the top with the screen printed design on.
After putting the zip in, the top wouldn’t go back on to the mannequin as it was a bit small. I needed to take the zip out and come up with a different way to fasten the back. I tried tying the straps together into a bow at the back which I think works well. I also came up with the idea of tying the back with ribbon like a corset style. I think this is better as it is different and also still modern.
I started sewing the top together by sewing the darts. After sewing the darts in, I realised that the hem wasn’t level with the darts that I made so I had to make the hem a little bit longer. I then went on to sew the top hem and the neckline. I had to resew the neckline as it wasn’t straight. After resewing it, it was straight. I then started sewing the straps. I sewed them inside out and then pulled it through.
I started the skirt by making a design on illustrator. The design that I chose to use is bright and goes well with my top. I planned to digitally print my design on to a metre of fabric but decided I wouldn’t have enough to create a pleated skirt so I decided to print 2 metres of fabric. The printer didn’t work so well meaning I was just short of a metre. Some of the fabric that printed smudged so I couldn’t use all of the fabric. I used what I could and made a dress instead. I decided to make a dress because the pattern choice didn’t work well with my top on a bigger scale.
To make the dress, I put thick strips of white fabric onto a mannequin. These strips are the front part of the dress. It creates a deep v neck. I then attached a full back part. I then attached the skirt to the bottom.
This worked well on the mannequin so I started sewing it together. I sewed the front to the back first so that I had the top together. I then started to sew the hems on all the edges of the top. This didn’t take long as the top is only basic. I then sewed the skirt pieces together. I cut the excess fabric off and pinned the top to the skirt. I stitched the back and the front pieces to the skirt. When I finished sewing it together, I noticed that it is really short and quite small. The white top works well with the vibrant pattern of the skirt. I am going to add flowers made out of fabric to the top. I am thinking white flowers so that the attention isn’t taken away from the skirt. I want to add flowers as I remember him doing the gardening in the summer and I think this would a nice way to show what he loved to do. I’m not too sure where I want to add flowers so I will make flowers and try them out in different areas and see what works. The colours in the skirt work well as they are bright colours which make you think about the sun. This is good because he loved the summer so the skirt represents this as well as representing his Jamaican background.
I tried making flowers with the fabric but it didn’t stay so well and looked a bit messy. I already did some floral embroidery and thought I could use that but I couldn’t cut it out neatly. I then decided to embroider the outlines of flowers in black. I chose black as I didn’t want to have loads of colour all over it. After adding the flowers I decided that the top part didn’t work well and have taken it off.
I am going to use the pink top again as this worked out really well apart from the size. I will add plackets to the back of the top so that the size is bigger. A zip will be attached to the plackets.
I made a skirt around a mannequin.
I made this skirt out of soft cotton. I did this as I wanted the skirt to have movement. I stitched around the top first so that the pleats were in. I then stitched the seam in the back. I did this next so that it looked more like a skirt. After this I stitched the hem at the bottom. I found this difficult to get it the same all the way round. I started to make the waistband. I used a stiffer cotton to make the waistband as it doesn’t need as much movement as the skirt itself. I also thought it would be nicer to have a stiff waistband. When I finished this part, I stitched in a zip and ironed the pleats in.
I went back to adjust the top, I needed to bring the hem up as on the mannequin the top was long and went over the skirt which isn’t what I planned. I stitched the end of the strap to the top. I stitched the zip onto the placket pieces and then attached the plackets to the top.
Overall I am happy with the way my garments have turned out and would be happy to present it in the exhibition.