I wanted to try doing embroidery by hand. I thought about doing a portrait of my grandad in the Jamaican colours. I got a photo of him that I could use for this. I got the photo up on an iPad and traced it.
I then traced it onto some spare fabric I had. I started to stitch the outline of the portrait using red, green and yellow thread.
I started to fill in the areas. As I went on I decided to fill in the hair and the jacket. I realised that if I filled in the jacket in the same green the outline wouldn’t be visible. I have decided to fill it in using a lighter shade of green. I chose to use a lighter green because I didn’t want it to be too dark as I used black fabric for the base.
I stitched the face. I don’t think it went too bad but I’m not 100% how I feel about it. I do think it went well for my first time doing embroidery. To improve, I would try to make the hair a bit more rounded instead of square. I would also change the eyes as one of them looks a bit bigger than the other. I’m not sure if I will use this on my final piece of work.